Tails from the trail and tips on training your human

Top 5 Outdoor Dangers for Dogs

Top Dangers for Dogs

When it comes to dogs, there is no doubt that most of them love the Great Outdoors. Whether it is your backyard or a campsite, dogs appreciate the freedom to run around, play, and soak in some sunlight. As a dog owner, your job isn’t as simple as providing your pup with some playtime. It is your responsibility to make sure that your pet’s happy place doesn’t turn into a dangerous one.

For this purpose, you need to observe the surroundings of your house carefully so that your little one’s mischievous mind doesn’t lead it to trouble. Dogs are curious sniffers; therefore, it may be best to take all the necessary precautionary measures to keep them away from outdoor hazards. Here is a list of top 5 outdoor dangers for dogs that will help you protect your pooch and enable them to make the most of their time outside!

Poisonous Flowers

While you may be extremely proud of your flower garden, which you should be, those pretty blossoms in your backyard can prove to be harmful and poisonous to your pet dog. There is a wide range of flowers that can cause your dog to become sick and suffer from serious medical issues if consumed. While the side effects might not always be major and prominent, toxic plants and flowers can easily lead to fatal conditions such as kidney failure and respiratory distress.
One common mistake that a lot of dog parents often make is assuming their four-legged companion won’t bother their plants. However, this is far from the truth. While your pet animal may not be interested in ingesting your flowers, they can certainly show curiosity. Dogs are known for exploring the world using their tongues and noses, along with digging the ground and ripping things out of it. Since biting and swallowing things is in dogs’ nature, they can end up swallowing flowers such as lilies, hydrangeas, oleander, azaleas, and daffodils that can be toxic for them.

Grill or Fire Pit

When you have small kids in the vicinity, as a responsible parent, you never start a bonfire or fire up the grill in your backyard. You take every precaution to keep the kids away from any harm. The same should be the case when it comes to your pet companion. Food such as hot dogs and grilled burgers can smell quite tempting to a dog. Therefore, it is important to never fire a grill when your pet is nearby. If you do, you need to take all measures to protect your pooch from getting burned.


Invasion of insects like ticks, bees, and ants can be a nuisance for anyone. No one wants to deal with creepy crawlies around their home. For this purpose, people tend to use pesticides to get rid of any unwanted guests from the areas surrounding their houses. The problem with pesticides, however, is that these products aren’t completely safe for pet animals. Once you treat your garden with pesticide products and then let your pet friend play in the same locations, the chemicals from those products can easily stick to your dog’s paw pads and fur. Furthermore, if your dog licks itself, the harmful chemicals can easily get into its body. Pesticide poisoning can lead to mild to deadly side effects.

When dogs are exposed to pesticides, they often experience the same reactions as humans. This can include instant symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, eye irritations, respiratory problems, and skin rashes. Other long-term risks may include the development of bladder cancer. In order to protect your pet animal while keeping your backyard bug-free, you can simply restrict your dog from spending time outside for about 48 hours after treating your garden. Additionally, make sure to remove any cans and bottles of pesticides from areas where your precious pup can find them.

Lake or Pond

While this may come as a surprise to many, dog owners who live near a lake or have a pond outside their homes need to be extra careful when it comes to keeping their pet dog safe. Ponds and lakes can provide breathtaking views; however, the algae that can easily grow in damp conditions can pose serious dangers to pet animals. The blue algae, also referred to as cyanobacteria, don’t only produce toxins, but it can also affect both humans and dogs who consume contaminated water or swim in it. This algae species is often found in ponds, streams, and freshwater lakes. Even the smallest of exposure can prove to be fatal for your best friend.


Dogs and sticks are often a great combination. However, this is not the case if your precious pooch likes to swallow things it chews. If your dog ends up swallowing some part of a stick that it has chewed, it can result in a major choking hazard for your friend animal and also block its airway. This may not only cause your pet dog to panic, but the pointy shards of the stick can end up in your dog’s intestines, stomach, esophagus, and mouth, causing it to be a fatal situation for the innocent animal.

If your dog likes to spend time outdoors, make sure to perform regular maintenance checks on your laws and clean up any tree debris every now and then. If you live in a wooded area, never leave your pet dog unsupervised outside the house. While chasing and chewing sticks can be extremely fun, it is important to take all the necessary steps to protect your pup from choking hazards.

Bottom Line

If you feel like some of the aforementioned dangers are out of your hand, make sure to keep a watch on your dog at all times when it is enjoying its playtime. Your little pup is your responsibility, and it is important that you make your backyard or any outdoor location a safe place for your pooch to have a fun-filled time!